November is the awareness month of lung cancer worldwide. Different health organizations try to create awareness among the masses about this disease and its treatment. In fact, it is the leading cause of death among all types of cancers. We should realize that anybody elderly or young, cigarette smokers and non-smokers, males and females can be the victim of this cancer.
A group of international research and organizations make efforts to provide awareness about the symptoms and causes of lung cancer at all levels. Early detection can be immensely helpful in the treatment and saving lives from this fatal disease as well. But the problem is that its symptoms are mostly undefined. So, it is crucial not to neglect your cough if it prolongs.
Types of Lung Cancer Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
There are two types of this fatal disease and both of them have different microscopic appearances :
- Small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) is normally found in former or active smokers. Although SCLC is a less common type of lung cancer, still it is more destructive tumor that is more likely to spread to other body organs.
- Non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) usually grows more gradually and takes a long time to spread beyond the lung.
- Coughing, wheezing, hoarseness and fatigue are some common signs but they often confused with other symptoms that are less serious to detect the disease.
- Having a cough that continues for more than 3 weeks
- chest pain
- loss of appetite
- quickened weight loss
- recurring cough
- cough up blood
- strenuous swallowing
- shortness of breathing
- prolonged chest infection
- uncommon pain in bones.
- Smoking causes the majority of this cancer. But there are many other patients of this disease who do not even smoke or who have not even exposed to passive smoke ever. Also, not everyone who suffers from this chronic disease does smoke.
- People with passive smoke and radon gas may also suffer this cancer.
- You may have a higher risk of cancer if you have a personal and family history of the disease.
- People who work in the environment of certain chemicals and substances like asbestos, nickel, arsenic etc which are used in several industries may increase the risk of developing lung cancer.
- Those cancer survivors who had radiation therapy to the chest are also at higher risk of this cancer.
There are several ways of treatment depending on the type and stage of this cancer and how far it has spread in the patient’s body.
-Surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy or a combination of all these treatments are some beneficial ways of treating this disease for the patients of NSCLC.
-Radiation therapy and chemotherapy are effective treatments for the patients of SCLC.
Typically cancer itself develops over a period of many years. But, if detects at an early stage so the treatment will be successful by using a variety of treatments.
Before the doctors start their treatment, they usually perform a biopsy to determine whether a patient has cancer or of what type. Likewise, treatment options depend on the stage and type of cancer. However, doctors explain all the risk factors, benefits of each treatment and their after-effects to the patient.